Monday, July 6, 2009

The Hole in Our Gospel


Since I do a lot of author interviews, there are many books that cross my desk. I usually don't have to go looking for them- they find me. Honestly, there are some that I read cover to cover not only in anticipation of talking with the author, but because it's a good book and it has captivated me. Then there are the books that I "radio read", skimming through them, usually because there isn't enough time to read everything that I need to in preparing for the interview. However, once in a while there is a book that I pursue whether it finds me or not. One of those books is The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns, President of World Vision, U.S.

I wanted to read The Hole in Our Gospel, not to prepare for any interview, but because I had heard so many people I respect talk about how much it had meant to them. After reading it, I now know why. It was, as expected, a well thought out and biblical call to serve the poor of this world in the name of Jesus Christ. Scripture is clear on God's expectations for how we treat the poor and the statistics that are documented in this book compel us to action. What I did not expect, was the personal story as Rich Stearns told of his own awakening to the issue. As a very successful CEO of a large corporation, the way in which God prepared his heart and controlled the circumstances surrounding his call to lead World Vision is a powerful reminder to me that our life is not our own. Rich Stearns' life reminds me yet again that "The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." (Prov. 16:9).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home